Giddy-making news

DSC_0296.jpg

Forgive the giddiness. There's a whole boatload of giddy-making news today.

Let's start with Alice Munro. You've already heard, of course, but she earns top billing, because NOBEL PRIZE! Awarded today to a woman from a small town in Ontario who has spent her career here in Canada quietly writing short stories. She rarely makes public appearances. She is the opposite of someone who seeks the spotlight. And yet the light seeks her out. I've seen her read and speak twice, rare occasions that remain vivid in my memory. A year ago, I was asked by the National Post's books editor to review her last book, Dear Life, and I accepted, in fear and trembling and excitement, because it seemed the opportunity of a lifetime: to write a tribute (hardly a review) to an author whose work I've admired, loved, and read and re-read for comfort and pleasure for the better part of my life. (Who Do You Think You Are? whispered to me as I worked on the piece, and whispers to me now as I re-post it, but there it is. I'm a fan. If Alice Munro were a hockey team, I would know all the stats.)

Now, I'm going to share some other news in entirely un-Munrovian fashion (first of all, by sharing it) with a tweet I saw this morning:

"@HouseofAnansi at #fbf13 hit it out of the park w / 3 sales of @carrieasnyder new bk #GirlRunner in Holland, France & Italy on same day. Wow!"

To interpret for you: House of Anansi is my Canadian publisher, currently attending the Frankfurt Book Fair, and, yes, they've sold the rights to Girl Runner in three more territories: more translations! Wow, indeed. My family is looking forward to celebratory meals of Italian, Dutch, and French specialities. Suggestions welcome. Spaghetti, gouda, and baguette with stinky cheese? (I said no to Albus's request for pizza, unless it's a non-north-Americanized version.) We're going to start preparing and eating these meals at home, however.

And now, back to work. Revisions, revisions, and prepping for class tonight where I'll be talking about ... revisions!

Labels: , , , , , ,